A trustworthy reseller or recycler will usually help protect your privacy in any way they can and keep you informed about the procedures of selling an iPhone. To ensure that your personal information stays safe, there are some important tasks you’ll need to check off as you prepare to repurpose your device. For starters, you need to remove your iPhone from your iCloud account. If you’re unsure how this works, check out these step-by-step guides for a smooth iCloud removal.
Steps for Removing iCloud Using Your Phone
The easiest way to remove an iCloud account is to do it using your iPhone. So if you have the device right now, here’s how it works:
- Step 1: Find the “Settings” icon on your iPhone’s home screen and tap it.
- Step 2: Once you’re in Settings, you’ll see a tab at the very top of the page that displays your name, followed by “Apple ID, iCloud, iTunes & App Store.” Tap this to enter the Apple ID settings section, and then tap the “iTunes & App Stores” tab.
- Step 3: Select your Apple ID from the top of the page and wait for a pop-up to appear on your screen. Choose “View Apple ID.”
- Step 4: After you enter your password, you’ll be redirected to account settings. Scroll down until you see “Remove this device.” Select this option.
- Step 5: Choosing “Removing this device” will take you to the Apple website. Put in your username and password to sign in. Then, tap the “Devices” tab and select the device you want to disconnect from iCloud.
How to Remove iCloud Remotely
If you lost your device, forgot to remove iCloud before giving it away or simply prefer using the physical website, there’s still a way to protect your privacy and content. Instead of removing the device directly from the phone or tablet, you can easily go online from another device and erase it with Find My iPhone. Here’s how:
- Step 1: Sign in to iCloud.com using your AppleID password.
- Step 2: Click on the “Find iPhone” icon.
- Step 3: Click “All Devices” at the top of the page and select the device you want to remove.
- Step 4: You’ll see a few options appearing underneath your phone on the page. Choose the “Erase phone” option.
- Step 5: After erasing the device, choose “Remove from Account” to sever its ties with your iCloud.
Why Remove iCloud From Your iPhone Before Selling It?
Whether you choose to disconnect your device directly or go to the iCloud website, it’s essential to make sure you do this before selling, trading or giving the phone away. We recommend backing up anything on your phone that may not be saved to the cloud, and then making the disconnection your last step as you prepare to send it off.
Why is it so important to remove iCloud from your iPhone? The primary reason is identity and information security. We live in a day and age when a whole world of information is available to us in seconds, as long as we have access to the internet. Although we are more connected than ever in many ways, we’re also more vulnerable to security breaches and identity theft than ever before. As a result, we all have a crucial responsibility to protect the data we store online.
Contrary to popular belief, erasing all content and settings on your phone only does half the work. As long as the device is connected to your iCloud account, it could still give the next owner access to your content and information. This exposure could become a hassle or even a danger to you, especially if you’re selling the device to a third party. There’s no telling who might be buying your phone, which is why it’s best to clear everything out as soon as possible.
If you have a phone or tablet that you’re interested in sending to The Whiz Cells, we recommend that you remove your iPhone from iCloud ahead of time. You can also do it remotely after sending it to us if that works for you or if you forget. We’re committed to ensuring your safety, so even if you do make a mistake, we’ll check to confirm that the device is clear of all data after we receive the package.
Contact Us to Sell Your iPhone
Knowing how to remove iCloud from your iPhone is one of the most reliable ways to protect your information when you decide it’s time for a device upgrade. Now that you understand how to wipe the slate clean both directly and remotely, you’re ready to recycle your phone! Contact us to learn more about the Apple devices we accept at The Whiz Cells.