Named for the Chinese word meaning “energy flow,” the Qi — pronounced CHEE — standard, developed by the Wireless Power Consortium, is already making fast, reliable wireless charging an option for nearly 150 types of smartphones, tablets and handheld devices. And with cell phone manufacturers like Apple, Google, LG Electronics, Nokia, Samsung and many others incorporating the Qi standard in their devices, the number of mobile phones capable of wireless charging is only set to grow.
If you’re wondering what the difference is in wireless charging performance for Android vs. iOS devices, the question is really one about the wattage — and therefore speed — at which a particular wireless charging pad for smartphones charges. This quality has as much to do with your phone and its operating system as it does with the Qi wireless charging mat for smartphones. For instance, an iPhone running iOS 11.2 will charge at 7.5 watts, while the same phone with iOS 11.1 will charge at 5 watts.
Best Wireless Charging Stations
To help you select the best wireless charging pad for your cell phone, we’ve put together the following list.
- Samsung’s EP-PG920 Wireless Charging Pad: Retailing for a mere $21 on Amazon, Samsung has hit on a winning design with its EP-PG920 wireless charging pad. It works equally well with most Android phones and the latest iPhones. Plus, it comes complete with a USB cable and AC adapter, so it’s ready to go out of the box. In addition, its top rubber ring will keep even phones that are glass-backed in place during charging.
- Tronsmart AirAmp: If you’re concerned about heat issues when wirelessly recharging your phone, the AirAmp is for you, as the innovative design team at Tronsmart built a cooling fan right into the charger’s stand. Of course, when you combine the limited noise from the fan with its LED charging light display on the base, you might want to consider placing this charging station on your desk instead of your nightstand.
- Anker PowerWave Pad: With power comes speed. That’s why the Anker PowerWave Pad doesn’t disappoint. It’s capable of charging Android phones like the Samsung Galaxy S9 at 10 watts and iOS devices like the iPhone X at 7.5 watts. In addition, its sleek disc pad design houses an LED charging indicator and a cooling fan. It also comes complete with a micro USB cable and a Quick Charge 3.0 adapter.
- SurgeDisk: When it comes to beauty and functionality in one sleek package, there’s no denying that the SurgeDisk is a winner. It sports a bamboo base that measures 4 x 4 x .27 inches and weighs a mere 1.3 ounces. Since it’s so eye-catching, you might be tempted to use it as a nightstand wireless charger, which is perfectly fine since it also comes with an LED indicator that’s far more sleep-friendly than most competitors’ charging pads.
- IKEA Nordmärke Triple Pad: If you or your family have multiple devices to charge at once, IKEA’s Nordmärke Triple Pad is the way to go. In product testing, this Qi charger proved it could charge either one or multiple phones in the same amount of time. There’s even an optional 2.4-amp USB-A port for quickly charging larger devices such as iPads. The one issue is that its surface is a little slippery, so initial device placement is important to get right.
With this overview of wireless charging stations, you can be sure to find the right one for your needs. For further assistance and answers to all your smartphone charging questions, contact us today — we’re here to help.