Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, we carry all the information in the world in our pockets. Smartphones allow us to do everything from online shopping and research to streaming and messaging. Now, the wide range of apps available will allow you to learn languages online as well.
Having a smartphone enables you to take language learning wherever you go, whether you want to brush up on old skills or learn a completely new foreign language. This accessibility makes it easier for both school students and casual learners to stay ahead of important milestones. The best language learning apps will help you learn at your own pace and become more proficient in the language of your choice.
How Language Learning Apps Work
Language learning is different today than it was decades ago. Now, teachers are implementing new technology in their programs to help with memorization and reading comprehension. People are using their mobile devices to teach themselves new skills on the fly. That said, do language learning apps actually work?
They do! Smartphone software options can help expand your vocabulary, grammar skills and comprehension abilities for every type of language you can imagine. They work well in tandem with high school and college classes, often offering entertaining and stress-free ways for students to learn. They’re also excellent for those looking to build up their own language skills.
Smartphones are perfectly suited to language learning because of their interactive touchscreens, enhanced connectivity and speech recognition capabilities. They make the experience fast, fun and convenient, so professional and casual learners alike can enjoy the process. With more digital resources at our disposal than ever before, we can now practice without ever having to open a textbook.
You can download most language learning software from any app store. Many options have both free and paid versions. They may also allow you to work on lessons, set and complete goals, improve on specific weaknesses and more.
The Best Language Learning Apps
If you’re designing lessons for students or interested in enhancing your language skills, you’ll find a number of app types to choose from. Some of the best language learning apps currently available for smartphones are:
- Duolingo: Duolingo is a well-known language learning software that brings joy into every lesson. It’s colorful, fast-paced and easy to use. Better yet, it’s free and offers a variety of language options, from Spanish and Japanese to Hebrew, Irish, Arabic and many more.
- Mondly: Mondly is another free app you can use to learn languages. This option is designed to cater to your needs, whatever your native language may be. It provides lessons, quizzes and tests for 33 separate languages, and it implements interactive features to help you enjoy every step of the journey.
- Mango: If you’re looking for a more comprehensive option, consider choosing Mango Languages. Mango is known for serving businesses, libraries and educators with its vast selection of language lessons and resources. For under $20.00 per month, you can gain access to more than 70 languages and all of Mango’s powerful learning tools.
- Rosetta Stone: With a subscription to the award-winning Rosetta Stone program, you’ll be able to choose from 24 languages and learn on any device. This app will allow you to work on vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation at your own pace.
- Babbel: Babbel is a flexible, easy-to-use app for both avid and casual learners. At just 10 to 15 minutes long, lessons are designed to support learning from almost any location. You can also choose from both free and paid options based on your requirements.
Change the Language on Your Phone to Learn
Smartphone apps can help you learn languages faster — and perhaps even find more joy in the learning process! Another way you can foster better learning while using the app of your choice is to change the language on your phone. The process of changing your iPhone language to help yourself learn is simple enough, and you can do it in a few simple steps:
- Go to “Settings”
- Tap the “General” option
- Choose the “Language and Region” tab
- Choose “iPhone Language”
- Select the language you want to use
You can also change the language on Android devices. While brands and models can vary, the most common method follows:
- Select “Settings” from the home screen
- Tap the “System” icon
- Choose “Language and input”
- Select “Languages”
- Tap “Add a Language”
- Choose or search for the language you want to add
- Move the language you want to the top of the page
Learn More With Smartphone Language Apps
Constant access to smartphones has changed the way we absorb and retain information. With language learning apps, you’ll find it easier than ever to stay up to date on your daily lesson and practice routines. Give one of these programs a try to see the difference it can make in your learning strategies.
Contact The Whiz Cells for more on the latest mobile technology and values.