Updated On July 15, 2021
Today’s technological advancements have brought with them an assortment of new phones, some of which cost close to $1,000. And while some people have the money it would take to get an updated phone every year, there are many others who simply don’t have that kind of cash. Fortunately for these people, buying a refurbished phone is a great choice to make. Not only can you save money buying a phone that’s been refurbished, but they also frequently come with their original warranties.
Should I Buy a Refurbished Phone?
Are refurbished phones good? You’ve likely heard of or encountered this option while searching for a used phone.
In general, most refurbished phones that are sold by quality sellers will look and perform almost brand new. These phones come with the title of being “refurbished” because they have had at least one prior owner, and sometimes two or three. Still, the seller restores the phone so that it looks and performs at its best, even with a few scuffs or scratches.
Is it Good to Buy a Refurbished Phone?
Some people say that “refurbished” means the phone won’t perform as well as a new one, but this isn’t always the case. Most refurbished phones perform just as well as their newer counterparts, as they’ve received a degree of repair, including hardware improvements and software upgrades. In fact, a refurbished phone has potential to function like a just-new model.
Is it Better to Buy a Refurbished iPhone or Android?
There are several brands of smartphones available today; however, the two most popular are Android and Apple. These two types of phones are the most used in the world, and it’s because of this that there is a large selection of refurbished Android and Apple products to choose from. The best type for you to invest in is determined by your personal preferences, as well as your budget. While some refurbished iPhones may cost more than Android phones, this isn’t always the case. For example, buying a refurbished Samsung Android Note 5 will likely cost more than a refurbished iPhone 4. Likewise, an iPhone 6 will likely cost more than a Note 5.
Where to Buy Refurbished Phones
If you’re going to invest your money in a refurbished phone, it’s important that you purchase it through a trusted seller. You will find refurbished phones almost anywhere, including network carrier stores, eBay and many other places. You may even have a friend that works on refurbished phones who can give you a great deal. No matter where you get your refurbished phone, though, it’s crucial that you ask about any pertinent warranty information.
The Pros and Cons of Buying a Refurbished Phone
If you’ve encountered refurbished phones worth buying but are still uncertain, realize that these devices:
- Are higher quality by default than a typical used phone and likely went through a series of tests to ensure its functionality before it gets sold.
- Tend to have, at most, a minor degree of wear and tear and may, in fact, offer like-new condition.
- Are sold at a fraction of the price of a completely new device, as phone and electronic gadget value, in general, depreciates relatively quickly. A phone that’s just a year old may have already declined 70% in value.
- Don’t lock you into an expensive contract, as you’ve already paid upfront for the device and aren’t financing a new phone. Instead, you’re paying for data and being able to make calls with your carrier.
- Are more environmentally friendly than purchasing a new phone, as you’re keeping the device active for longer and lessening the amount of e-waste present in the world.
- May come with a warranty lasting a few months.
- Are known to have a lower defect rate than newer phones.
However, one key point should be considered: Defects are still a possibility with a refurbished phone, be it a few scratches or dents or software issues. This likelihood increases with a device’s age, with common scenarios being a camera or speakerphone that doesn’t work.
Buy and Sell Used Cell Phones Through The Whiz Cells
Whether you’re interested in buying refurbished Apple products or a phone running Android, you’ll have lots of devices to choose from. A refurbished phone will help you save money because it can be had for quite a bit less than its new counterpart. In fact, you can look forward to saving anywhere from 20 to 40% on a refurbished phone!
Understand how used and refurbished phone values are determined to get started, or contact us to learn more.